Chicory & white beans with blue cheese cream
Lots of people do not usually like chicory, as it is usually very bitter. I’ve only ever seen it served with ham and even then, I wasn’t a fan.
But thanks to this vegetarian recipe, I managed to reconcile my brothers and my boyfriend – and myself – with this vegetable!
This is a very tasty meal packed with proteins and fibers, and the maple syrup and the cream help dissipate the bitterness of the chicory. By the way: the greener the tip of your chicory is, the more bitter it will taste.
Also, don’t forget to leave the white beans to soak before starting the recipe.
And last advice: be careful which the blue cheese you choose, as it can be very strong: feel free to adjust the quantities if needed.
Ok, now you’re free to go! If you enjoyed it, please leave a comment down here 🙂
Serves 2 or 3.
- Put the white beans to soak in cold water for at least 6h.
- Rinse them and transfer them to a pot and cover them with 2cm or 3cm of of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and let it simmer for 1h. If necessary, adjust the amount of water.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicory in chunks and cook them on medium/high in a pan with butter for 10min, or until slightly golden.
- Add the maple syrup and when fully absorbed, add the blue cheese and the cream.
- Once they've melted, add the white beans and the walnuts. Mix well and let it cook for another 5min.